Labor Relations Lawyers
At the core of good labor relations is an alignment of corporate values, labor philosophy and legal counsel.
Downs Rachlin Martin attorneys offer clients extensive experience in representing unionized employers in collective bargaining; providing advice about the administration of collective bargaining agreements; representing employers in arbitration hearings; providing practical/legal advice in the administration of grievance procedures; handling unfair labor practice charges before the NLRB; securing injunctions against strikes; advising on mergers and acquisitions of union and nonunion entities; and advising employers confronted with union organizing drives.
We provide sound advice on labor issues and work effectively to protect our clients’ interests.
Downs Rachlin Martin attorneys counsel clients in a diverse range of labor issues and collective bargaining matters across a wide variety of industries. Recent notable achievements include:
- Represented a national employer in a representation proceeding in which the union sought a partial production unit which left more than 80 classifications in dispute. The hearing went for 35 days on the record, lasted for more than three months and yielded nearly 8,000 transcript pages. The Board eventually permitted an election to take place with a substantially modified unit resulting in the Union’s loss of the election.
- On behalf of the multi-employer bargaining association for the elevator industry, NEBA filed an amicus brief with the NLRB about whether the NLRB’s decision in Olin, Corp concerning the standard of review for unfair labor practice charges that have been deferred to arbitration should be modified.
- Conducted collective bargaining negotiations for a college, hospitals, and a multi-facility healthcare institution.
- Provided advice and support including drafting and reviewing contract language, determining the parameters of good-faith bargaining, and reviewing strike plans and mutual assistance agreements for the Elevator Manufacturers Association of New York (”EMANY’). A few years ago we guided EMANY through a 100-day lockout.
- After securing a series of individual injunctions against strikes over arbitrable issues during the term of a contract, secured a permanent injunction against such strikes during the term of a five-year collective-bargaining agreement.
- Prevailed on behalf of our employer clients in a variety of work jurisdiction disputes involving unions such as the Ironworkers and Millwrights. In those instances, we have successfully petitioned the NLRB for immediate assistance including injunctive relief.