Minimize liabilities. Maximize profit. Maintain practical operations. Our tax attorneys will provide you with creative and practical solutions to resolve federal, state and local tax issues and to minimize tax liabilities.
Our years of experience and rate of success at resolving Federal and Vermont state and local tax controversies is unparalleled. We represent our clients in a wide range of sophisticated transactions and create structures that are not only tax-efficient but also practical for the client’s business and goals.
Our team provides support for:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Federal and state tax credits
- State and local tax (“SALT”)
- Executive compensation
- Partnerships and other pass-through entities
- Captive insurance
- Tax-exempt organizations
- Foreign investment and reporting
- Represented New England bank in historic tax credit and low-income housing tax credit transactions.
- Successfully advocated for the exclusion of local corporation from inclusion in unitary group of AIG. See AIG Insurance Management Services, Inc. v. Vermont Department of Taxes Convinced Vermont Department of Taxes it was incorrectly applying a nonprofit exemption to the Rooms and Meals Tax and, working with the Legislature, helped revise the existing statute to confirm application of the exemption in accordance with our view of the law.
- Successfully convinced the Vermont Department of Taxes that a partnership restructuring did not trigger taxable cancellation of indebtedness income.
- Recently negotiated for reduction in assessed real property tax value for four commercial properties. one by 50% resulting in annual savings in excess of $1 million.
- Negotiated for withdrawal of assessment for multi-state timber company based on improper application of apportionment rules by Vermont Department of Taxes.
- Represented Developers Utilizing More Than $200 million of New Markets Tax Credits.
- Developed Synthetic Rollover Program for key employees following change of control which allowed employees to defer recognition of transaction bonuses.
- Helped start-up take advantage of opportunity zone and Section 1202 tax benefits to attract new investors.