Vermont Law School, J.D., summa cum laude; Notes Editor, Vermont Law Review
University of Vermont, B.A.
- Successfully defended a nationwide elevator manufacturer in an arbitration proceeding in which a union attacked the company’s processes for manufacturing a new elevator design. The union’s claims sought to invalidate eleven aspects of the new design. The arbitrator ruled in the Company’s favor on ten of the claims and remanded one for further testing.
- Successfully represented an aerospace components manufacturer in a federal court action to enforce non-competition and non-disclosure covenants against a former employee who left to join a competitor, resulting in a stipulated injunction against further breaches.
- Tim has successfully litigated Boys Markets injunction proceedings throughout the United States on behalf of several Fortune 500 companies in the construction industry. In one case, he successfully litigated an injunction against strike activity through an appeal to the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit. In another case, Tim obtained a permanent injunction against future strike activity by a union. He has obtained injunctions in cities including Louisville, Kentucky; Dallas, Texas; Indianapolis, Indiana; Boston, Massachusetts and Buffalo, New York.
- Regularly represents clients before the National Labor Relations Board, including Unfair Labor Practice and Representation-Case proceedings. In one R-case, Tim successfully defended a utility employer against a union’s attempts to gerrymander a voting group.
- Tim advises clients in the manufacturing, beverage and hospitality industries on complex compliance issues under federal, state and local paid leave and disability anti-discrimination laws.
New Hampshire, 1998
U.S. District Court, District of Vermont, 1999
U.S. District Court, District of New Hampshire, 2003
U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit, 2004
U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, 2006
U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts, 2014
U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit, 2018
Memberships & Activities
New Hampshire Bar Association
Vermont Bar Association
Tim has served on the boards of several non-profit organizations in and around his home. He served as President and member of the Board of trustees of the Chesterfield Public School Foundation. He has served on the boards of the Vermont Chamber of Commerce, the Brattleboro Area Chamber of Commerce and the United Way of Windham County. He also served as president of the Brattleboro Chamber.
Accolades & Awards
Tim is recognized in Chambers USA, based on the organization’s extensive research and interviews with clients and peers.
Listed in Best Lawyers®, Employment Law – Management, Labor Law – Management, Litigation – Labor and Employment, 2012-2024
International Union of Elevator Constructors, Local 3, AFL-CIO and Otis Elevator Company, 364 NLRB 1819 (2016)
Otis Elevator Co. v. International Union of Elevator Constructors, Local 4, 408 F.3d 1 (1st Cir. 2006)
KONE, Inc. v. International Union of Elevator Constructors, Local 4, No. 05-10093-DPW, 2006 WL 2987042 (D. Mass. Sept. 27, 2006)
Otis Elevator Co. v. Local 91, International Union of Elevator Constructors, 393 F. Supp. 2d 143 (D. Conn. 2005)
Local One, International Union of Elevator Constructors of New York and New Jersey, 339 NLRB 977, 173 LRRM 1487 (2003)
Contributing Editor, The Developing Labor Law, 5th, 6th and 7th editions and cumulative supplements (Bloomberg BNA/American Bar Association Section of Labor and Employment Law)
Timothy E. Copeland, Jr. and Peter B Robb, Union Attempts to Rewrite Collective-Bargaining Agreements by Disciplining and Fining Employees: The National Labor Relations Board Says ‘Enough’, 13 HR Advisor No. 6 (Thomson Reuters 2007)