University of Texas School of Law, J.D.; Symposium Editor, Texas International Law Journal (Austin, Texas)
Trent University, B.A. (Honours) History, cum laude (Peterborough, Ontario)
School for International Training, International Experiment in Living Programs (Santiago, Chile; Granada, Spain)
Dawson College, Diplôme d’études collégiales, cum laude (Westmount, Québec)
- Obtained Section 248a approvals for heavily-contested wireless telecommunications projects in Mendon, Grand Isle, and Thetford, VT as part of FirstNet public safety build out plan in Vermont.
- Secured approvals for system-critical electrical transmission backup operations facility in New Haven, VT, including through negotiation of MOUs with state agencies, municipal selectboards, and regional planning entities.
- Secured ruling from New Hampshire Superior Court to dismiss on standing grounds multiple challengers to Zoning Board of Adjustment permit for wireless project in Thornton, New Hampshire, and brought federal Telecommunications Act claim to resolve remaining issues with Planning Board for tower.
- Successfully resolved Public Records Act litigation in Superior Court to determine that sensitive carrier business information submitted to Vermont Department of Public Service with annual reports fell within “tax returns” exception, resulting in injunctive relief preventing disclosure.
- Developed and furnished post-decision evidence of lack of availability of alternative sites in Bedford, NH in order to prevail in “effective prohibition” claim in federal district court, resulting in special exception being issued by Zoning Board of Adjustment.
- Provided guidance through environmental plant closing process for major industrial facility in southwestern Vermont.
- Oversaw and secured the approval of over 150 separate collocation / modification projects in Vermont for multiple carriers and infrastructure providers over a three-year period, including multi-site C-Ran / small cell deployment in Stowe, Vermont.
- Negotiated with Agency of Natural Resources for preparation and consummation of conservation easement transaction involving land adjacent to wind turbine facility in order to satisfy critical post-CPG condition and to secure necessary prerequisites for sale of facility.
- Completed critical real estate due diligence on multiple 10MW> planned and existing solar facilities in Vermont and New Hampshire in connection with asset purchase by major renewable energy provider.
- Advocated through quasi-rulemaking with the Vermont Public Utility Commission to ultimately result in the repeal of the “successive de minimis” rule under Section 248a of Title 30, easing pathways towards modifications on sites throughout Vermont for carriers and infrastructure providers.
- Resolved title issues on multiple net-metering (>500kW) project asset sale from significant renewable energy portfolio owner in order to consummate multi-million dollar transaction to renewable energy trust developed by one of the largest U.S. investment bankers.
- Developed and presented critical evidence regarding absence of options and lack of land use impacts to successfully prevent “prior public use” doctrine of eminent domain from barring installation of natural gas pipeline through publicly-owned land.
- Negotiated, drafted, and shepherded through multi-agency review process first-of-its-kind collocation license agreement for upgraded state-owned wireless communications facility in high-volume traffic area of Vermont.
- Prevailed in litigation concerning application of grandfathered net-metering regulations in case involving late notice to adjoining landowners, establishing critical precedent for Vermont administrative law.
- Played critical role in development of interplay between federal and state stormwater operational permit law in Vermont through cases in federal and state supreme court.
U.S. District Court for the District of Vermont, 2001
New Hampshire, 2006
U.S. District Court for the District of New Hampshire, 2017
Memberships & Activities
New England Wireless Association, Board of Directors (elected 2017). Will has organized several educational committee events regarding FirstNet deployment, small cell issues, radiofrequency emissions, and public funding opportunities, and played a key role throughout the year with combination of professional and social events.
Northeast Energy and Commerce Association (NECA), Environmental Committee. Will has helped to coordinate and participate in several environmental law conferences ranging from public engagement for energy projects to Clean Water Act law, and environmental justice trends to eminent domain.
Wireless Infrastructure Association – Member
Telecommunications Energy & Utilities Law Section, New Hampshire Bar Association
New Hampshire Sustainable Energy Association — Member
Renewable Energy Vermont – Member
New Hampshire Business & Industry Association – Member
Environmental Lawyers Division, Vermont Bar Association
Accolades & Awards
Listed in Best Lawyers in America © 2018-2023
Vermont Business Magazine Rising Star Award, 2010
Essex Energy Committee — Chair (2017, term ends 2022) (municipal energy committee charged with promotion of weatherization, renewable generation, efficiency, and transportation-related projects for Vermont’s second largest municipality)
USTA VT — State League Committee (2021)
Woodlands Homeowners Association — President (2017-current)
FCC 5G Orders Survive Challenges — New Hampshire Bar News, September 16, 2020
Setback for 5G Deployment, New Hampshire Bar News, Sept. 18, 2019
Wireless Services — What’s Special In Vermont, WIA Orlando Conference, June 2019
Telecommunications Siting: Effective Prohibition and Petitions for Rehearing, New Hampshire Bar News, Sept. 19, 2018 (link needed — see Jolie)
Antrim Wind: Testing the Site Evaluation Committee’s New Rules on Aesthetics, New Hampshire Bar News, Sept. 1, 2017 (link needed — see Jolie)
New Developments in Permitting Process for Wireless Siting, New Hampshire Bar News, September 18, 2014
Telecommunications Panel (Vermont Development Conference November 2021)
Co-Organizer, Environmental Justice: A State Perspective (NECA July 2021)
VHB Vermont Telecommunications Mini-Summit (May 2021)
Moderator, NEWA Educational Seminar — 5G and Small Cell Deployments (Oct. 2020)
Moderator, NEWA Educational Seminar — Safety / OSHA / RF Emissions (Oct. 2019)
Act 250 / Section 248 Distinctions, VT Association of Planners, VT Tech. College (Sept. 2019)
NPDES Stormwater and Clean Water Act, Enviro 101 Seminar, NECA Environmental Conference (April 2019)
Eminent Domain in VT: Innovations, Int’l Right of Way Association (Oct. 2018)
Moderator, NEWA Educational Seminar: FirstNet and Small Cell (Oct. 2018)
Moderator, NECA Environmental Conference (March 2018)
State of Solar: Solar Law 101, Vermont Development Conference (Burlington, VT, November 14, 2017)
A Mule Hitched to the Times: Evolution of Aesthetics for Energy Projects, Renewable Energy Vermont Conference (Burlington, October 2, 2017)
Steal My Sunshine: Concerns For Net Metering Applications Under the Board’s New Rule 5.100, Vermont Bar Association CLE (Montpelier, VT, June 13, 2017)
Challenging Development Projects: Public Engagement for Private Negotiations, Associated Industries of Vermont (Montpelier, VT, August 22, 2017)
How We Got to Here: A Brief History of Stormwater NPDES Litigation Through 2006, Vermont Agency of Natural Resources Clean Water Act Seminar (Montpelier Statehouse, June 26, 2015)
Site Acquisition in the Real World – Small Cells: Radios, Chipsets, Backhaul, Deployments, PCIA – The Wireless Infrastructure Association Conference (Fort Lauderdale, FL, Oct. 8, 2013)