199 Main Street
Burlington, VT 05402-0190
Experienced litigator providing strategic counsel on complex litigation, white collar criminal defense, and government enforcement matters.
Having served almost ten years as an Assistant United States Attorney in the District of Vermont, Tim Doherty draws from a deep well of experience in federal court. During his time as an Assistant U.S. Attorney, Tim prosecuted complicated mail, wire, and bank fraud matters, as well as multi-jurisdictional firearm and drug trafficking cases, from the investigation stage through conviction and appeal. Prior to becoming a federal prosecutor, Tim was a litigator in the New York City office of one of the world’s largest law firms, where he focused on white collar criminal defense and internal investigations. Tim is committed to helping clients navigate the complexities of high-stakes investigations and litigation. Tim serves as the deputy Chair of the Government Enforcement and White Collar Defense group.
- As part of the U.S. Attorney’s Office’s effort to address Vermont’s opioid crisis, for two years Tim was responsible for coordinating all federal opioid investigations and prosecutions in Northwestern Vermont. During that time, he worked closely with federal, state, and local law enforcement to dismantle some of the most sophisticated interstate drug trafficking organizations operating in Vermont. Tim was also the U.S. Attorney’s Office’s representative on the Chittenden County Opioid Alliance, a partnership of stakeholders whose purpose is to reduce the burden the opioid problem has placed on the community.
- Tim supervised an investigation into a large-scale interstate drug trafficking organization operating in New York City, Vermont, and Maine. The lengthy investigation involved numerous federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies and required the use of multiple telephone wiretaps under Title III of the United States Code. The investigation led to the seizure of valuable assets, firearms, and controlled substances and resulted in the convictions of over 20 individuals in both Vermont and Maine.
- Tim served as Vermont’s Lead Task Force Attorney for the Department of Justice’s Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Force, which focuses federal resources on major drug trafficking organizations, money laundering organizations, and related criminal enterprises. In 2016, Tim secured approximately $150,000 in additional Department of Justice funding for Vermont, which law enforcement used to fund opioid investigations and purchase much-needed equipment.
- Tim partnered with federal law enforcement to investigate a multi-million dollar bank fraud involving a large manufacturing business in northern New England. The prosecution ended with federal felony convictions for the company’s former CEO and CFO.
- Tim prosecuted a complicated, multi-million dollar health care and tax fraud scheme that resulted in felony convictions for the defendants and $4.3 million in restitution for the federal government and Vermont.
- At the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Tim also served for several years as the prosecutor for DOJ’s Computer Hacking and Intellectual Property program. In this role, he focused on complex cybercrime investigations.
- While in private practice, Tim helped defend the former CFO of a Fortune 500 company who had been federally indicted for securities fraud. The indictment was ultimately dismissed as part of a deferred prosecution agreement with the government.
Yale Law School, J.D., 2003
College of the Holy Cross, B.A., Magna Cum Laude, 1998
- State of Vermont, 2011
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York, 2007
- U.S. District Court for the District of Vermont, 2007
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, 2007
- State of New York, 2004
- Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable Peter W. Hall, United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, 2004-2005
- Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable William K. Sessions III, United States District Court for the District of Vermont, 2003-2004
- Vermont Bar Association, Federal Practice Section Chair
- Vermont Bar Association, Board of Bar Managers, 2011-2014
Champlain Valley Unitarian Universalist Society, Board of Trustees, 2010-2013
199 Main Street
Burlington, VT 05402-0190ph: 802-863-2375