Boston University Law School, J.D.
Williams College, B.A., magna cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa
Bob has achieved several recoveries of more than a million dollars for victims and families in personal injury cases. Some representative cases include:
- Recovered a 1.125 million dollar verdict in a “mild” TBI case for an accountant at a Big Four firm who suffered a traumatic brain injury during a company golf outing.
- Recovered, within two months of the accident, the policy limit of a teenage driver who struck a motorcycle enthusiast resulting in serious hip, knee and ankle injuries. Within 8 months following the accident, Bob had convinced the victim’s insurer to “stack” underinsured motorist coverage under several other family vehicles and to pay the combined limits of that coverage to provide a very substantial recovery.
- When a young man suffered a serious hip injury in an accident where fault was contested and the driver of the other vehicle had limited coverage, Bob recovered within six months the limit of the other driver’s insurance coverage. He also convinced two other insurers to “stack” and pay the combined amount of underinsured motorist coverage under the victim’s insurance and under separate insurance maintained by his parents.
Achieved substantial recoveries for:
- The driver of a vehicle struck by ice from the roof of a tractor trailer truck, suffering severe facial fractures and brain injury
- A student from France who suffered a brain injury when struck a by motorcycle from Quebec in Smugglers Notch
- A scientist from Montreal who suffered a brain injury when struck by a taxi at the Burlington Airport
- The family of a disabled woman who died tragically due to negligence in the adult foster care system.
- A college athlete who was paralyzed in an accident during an NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association) competition.
- The family of a three-year-old child who suffered a traumatic brain injury in a fall from an unprotected daycare structure.
- The driver of a service truck who suffered serious head injuries when a pressurized cap blew off and hit him in the face.
U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, 1998
U.S. District Court, District of Vermont, 1980
Memberships & Activities
American Association for Justice
American Bar Association
Brain Injury Association of Vermont (Board Chair)
Litigation Counsel of America, Senior Fellow
Vermont Bar Association
Accolades & Awards
Listed in Best Lawyers®, Commercial Litigation, Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs, 2008-2022
New England Super Lawyers®: Business Litigation, 2007-2020
Chambers and Partners, 2016-2021
Healthline: Best Traumatic Injury Blog, 2016
Brain Injury Association of Vermont, Founding Board Member
Bob maintains the Traumatic Brain Injury Blog, a long-standing, award-winning blog on the science of brain injury.
He has written several articles on brain injury topics, including an article published in the Vermont Bar Association Journal: Proving a “Mild” Traumatic Brain Injury: A Complex But No Longer Impossible Task (Vermont Bar Journal, Spring 2012, Vol. 38, No.1)
Advancements in Concussion Science (January 6, 2016; Vermont Public Radio, Vermont Edition)
Opinion: Protect Children by Supporting Families (June 29, 2014; Rutland Herald)
Why Brain-Injured Defendants in Vermont Often Go Free (March 20, 2013; Seven Days)
Representing Traumatic Brain Injury Victims: Legal and Medical Issues (March 30, 2012; full-day conference in Burlington, VT)
Bob has presented on brain injury and other personal injury topics on countless occasions over the last 25 years – on public radio, at legal conferences, and at conferences for brain injury providers and patients.
A Legal Look at Traumatic Brain Injuries (March 28, 2012; Vermont Public Radio’s Vermont Edition)
As an experienced trial lawyer, he has been asked to present on many different civil litigation topics and has moderated a panel of judges at a bar association conference.