Furloughs are generally temporary leaves of absence; layoffs tend to be longer or more permanent
Labor and Employment Chair Beth Rattigan explains the difference between furlough, layoff and severance, and how those employment vehicles can be, and are, used during the COVID-19 pandemic. A few key topics include:
- Layoffs: who will be let go during this time?
- Impact on Benefits during furloughs and layoffs.
- Job restructuring and other alternatives to layoffs.
- Considering voluntary layoffs. Pros, cons and things to consider.
- Severance packages and releases from liability.
For more information on how COVID-19 is impacting your business, visit our Legal Resource page.