George Mason University School of Law, J.D.
The College of William and Mary, B.A., Pi Sigma Alpha
- Tim currently represents Inova Health System in their ongoing expansion efforts in eastern Northern Virginia. In the City of Alexandria, Tim leads the transaction team in connection with the ground lease acquisition of land at the former Landmark Mall for development of a new Inova Alexandria Hospital as well as the acquisition and development of Inova’s planned Oakville HealthPlex. In Fairfax County, Tim leads the permitting and transaction team in connection with the acquisition and development of a new Inova Springfield Hospital.
- Tim currently represents Beta Technologies in their ongoing leasing and development projects in Northern Vermont, including most notably Beta’s ground leases and production facility at the Burlington International Airport.
- From 2015-2019, Tim represented Inova Health System in the ground lease and later fee acquisition of a 117 acre parcel strategically located near Inova’s flagship hospital in Fairfax, Virginia. Tim negotiated the details of the ground lease and purchase agreement while providing counsel toward Inova’s broader land use objectives. Tim then led the project team through the regulatory permitting processes for the initial phases of what is now approved for up to 5,000,000 square feet of development.
- In 2017, Tim represented Mt. Mansfield Company and its affiliates in the sale of Vermont’s iconic Stowe Mountain Resort to Vail Resorts. Tim led the real estate, permitting, and regulatory components of the transaction, and he managed DRM’s complement of additional practice area counsel to the transaction, including labor and employment, intellectual property and governmental affairs. The sale of Stowe required a monumental effort to separate and transact the Mountain Operations of Stowe, which were conveyed to Vail, from the existing and ongoing real estate development activities retained by AIG-affiliate, Spruce Peak Realty. The effort involved dozens of cross-easements and other agreements, and it required the distillation and transfer of almost countless permits, operating licenses and other regulatory and third-party rights and approvals.
- Tim currently represents AIG-affiliate, Spruce Peak Realty in its ongoing real estate development activities at Spruce Peak at Stowe, Vermont. Tim leads the DRM transaction team in the formation of project condominiums and resulting unit sales for luxury multi-family ski resort projects.
- Tim currently represents AIG Global Real Estate Corp. in the disposition of a portfolio of commercial real estate assets across the United States.
- Tim currently represents Inova Health System in a public/private venture to redevelop a 50 acre site near a new mass transit station in Reston, Virginia. Tim leads the development team through the regulatory permitting process and coordinates the multiple layers of real estate transactions required for the project, including land exchange agreements, joint development agreements, and reciprocal easement agreements.
- Tim regularly serves as counsel to commercial property owners of all sizes in due diligence, acquisition, sale, leasing and finance of commercial real estate. Recent examples include the $15M sale of an established Vermont resort and hospitality property, and the successful 1031 exchange of $1M properties for a Vermont business.
- Tim also serves as Vermont counsel to public, private and non-profit lending institutions in connection with real estate financings. Recent examples include a $1M “social” financing for a local brewery, a +$20M public financing for a local manufacturing plant, and a private acquisition financing for a solar facility.
- Tim also serves as Vermont counsel to regulated utilities in bond finance securitizations. Recent examples include completion of an $85M bond issuance secured by property in over 200 municipalities across New England.
- In 2010-2012, Tim represented Inova Health System through a multi-phase public/private land exchange and redevelopment project that included acquisition/disposition of public and private land, reciprocal ground leases, a reciprocal easement agreement, a shared parking garage construction agreement, multiple joint development agreements, multiple zoning and permitting processes, construction of three new buildings, and a building space lease. The project was awarded Best Real Estate Transaction of 2012 by the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties – Northern Virginia.
- In the early 2000’s, Tim represented a professional hockey team in a public/private venture resulting in the construction of a 140,000 square foot ice rink facility atop an existing, seven-story municipal parking garage in Arlington, Virginia. The ice rink is the practice facility and corporate offices of the team and provides ice time for high school and club hockey, figure skating and community skating.
District of Columbia, 1998
Memberships & Activities
Virginia Bar Association
Vermont Bar Association
American Bar Association
Accolades & Awards
Listed in Best Lawyers®, Real Estate Law, 2024
Timothy S. Sampson and R. Prescott Jaunich, Chapter 7 Title Examinations and Title Issues; A Practical Guide to Residential Real Estate Transactions and Foreclosures in Vermont, MCLE New England, Ed. Benjamin H. Deppman, 1st Ed. 2018 (1st Supp, 2021).
Countless legislative bodies; Vermont Development Conference.