199 Main Street
Burlington, VT 05402-0190
Real estate and land use attorney adept at navigating complex processes.
Tim Sampson’s multi-jurisdictional commercial real estate practice adds a unique perspective to the DRM team. Tim established his practice in the highly energized Northern Virginia development market before expanding northward to Vermont and beyond. Tim’s clients include a major healthcare system, ski resort owners, and developers and business owners of all sizes in matters ranging from highly complex to ordinary. Tim has broad experience in public/private transactions involving mixed-use, transit-oriented development, and his practice touches on all aspects of commercial real estate including acquisitions and sales, ground leases, building leases, regulatory permitting, development agreements, real estate finance and security, planned community and condominium regimes, easements, covenants and title. Tim’s breadth of experience across market environments adds value to his clients wherever they or their projects are located.
Tim certainly is no stranger to complex real estate transactions and development projects. Here are noteworthy examples of his experience:
- Represented Mt. Mansfield Company and its affiliates in the sale of the iconic Stowe Mountain Resort to Vail Resorts. Tim led the real estate, permitting, and regulatory components of the transaction, and he managed DRM’s complement of additional practice area counsel to the transaction, including labor and employment, intellectual property and governmental affairs. The sale of Stowe required a monumental effort to separate and transact the Mountain Operations of Stowe, which were conveyed to Vail, from the existing and ongoing real estate development activities retained by AIG-affiliate, Spruce Peak Realty. The effort involved dozens of cross-easements and other agreements, and it required the distillation and transfer of almost countless permits, operating licenses and other regulatory and third-party rights and approvals. These efforts led to a timely and efficient closing of one of the most high profile transactions in recent Vermont history.
- Counsel to Inova Health System in the ground lease acquisition of a 117 acre parcel strategically located in relation to Inova’s flagship hospital (Fairfax, Virginia). Tim negotiated the details of the ground lease and future purchase agreement while providing counsel toward Inova’s broader land use objectives. Tim currently leads the project team through the regulatory permitting processes for the initial phases of new development. Control of the site will serve the client’s strategic initiatives over a +50-year horizon.
- Counsel to Spruce Peak Realty (Stowe, Vermont) in the declaration of condominium and resulting unit sales for luxury multiple family ski resort condominium projects.
- Counsel to AIG Global Real Estate Corp. in the disposition of a portfolio of commercial real estate assets across the United States.
- Counsel to Inova Health System in public/private venture to redevelop a 50 acre site in proximity to new mass transit station (Reston, Virginia). Tim currently leads the development team through the regulatory permitting process and coordinates the multiple layers of real estate transactions required for the project, including land exchange agreements, joint development agreements, and reciprocal easement agreements.
- Tim regularly serves as counsel to commercial property owners of all sizes in due diligence, acquisition, sale, leasing and finance of commercial property. Recent examples include the $15M sale of an established Vermont resort and hospitality property, and the successful 1031 exchange of $1mm properties for a Vermont business.
- Tim also serves as Vermont counsel to public, private and non-profit lending institutions in connection with real estate financings. Recent examples include a $1mm “social” financing for a local brewery, a +$20M public financing for a local manufacturing plant, and a private acquisition financing for a solar facility.
- Vermont counsel to regulated utilities in bond finance securitizations. Recent examples include completion of an $85mm bond issuance secured by property in over 200 municipalities.
- Tim guided Inova Health System throughout a multi-phase public/private land exchange and redevelopment project that included acquisition/disposition of public and private land, ground leases from one party to the other, a reciprocal easement agreement, a shared parking garage construction agreement, multiple joint development agreements, multiple zoning and permitting processes, construction of three new buildings, and a building space lease. Tim led the project through each of these aspects to accomplish Inova’s strategic objective to obtain additional developable land on the campus of its flagship hospital. The project was awarded Best Real Estate Transaction of 2012 by the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties – Northern Virginia.
- Counsel to a professional hockey team in a public/private venture resulting in a 140,000 square foot ice rink facility atop an existing, seven-story municipal parking garage (Arlington, Virginia). The ice rink is the practice facility and corporate offices of the team and provides ice time for high school and club hockey, figure skating and community skating.
- Counsel to a national home builder in obtaining planning and zoning approvals for 60 acres of land adjacent to an existing mass transit station (Fairfax, Virginia). Tim played the lead role in the successful rezoning of the property from one acre, residential zoning to allow for 2,248 residential units and 400,000 square feet of office and retail space. The project required overcoming political hurdles in the United States Congress, the state legislature and the municipal Board of Supervisors.
George Mason University School of Law, J.D., 1995
The College of William and Mary, B.A., Pi Sigma Alpha
District of Columbia, 1998
- Virginia Bar Association
- Vermont Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Far Post Soccer Club, Director
- Charlotte Land Trust, Director 2005-2010
Timothy S. Sampson and R. Prescott Jaunich, Chapter 7 Title Examinations and Title Issues; A Practical Guide to Residential Real Estate Transactions and Foreclosures in Vermont, MCLE New England, Ed. Benjamin H. Deppman, 1st Ed. 2018.
199 Main Street
Burlington, VT 05402-0190ph: 802-863-2375