Cornell Law School, J.D., cum laude
Middlebury College, B.A., cum laude
- During 2021, Paul has led a team that represented Against the Grain Gourmet Foods, a leading manufacturer of branded gluten free pizza and baked goods, to a strategic buyer. He represented Bolton Furniture, a designer, importer and ecommerce vendor of home furnishings, in its sale to a strategic buyer. He represented Grow Compost of Vermont in its sale of assets to Casella. He also represented Vermont PBS, the Vermont public broadcasting network, in its merger with Vermont Public Radio.
- In 2020, he led a team that represented FoodScience, a supplier of branded and private label human and pet supplements to customers around the world, in its acquisition by Wind Point Partners. He represented Flex-A-Seal, a supplier of specialty mechanical seals with a world-wide market, in its combination with Momentum Engineered Systems. He represented Chippers, a provider of green care services in Vermont and New Hampshire, on its sale to The Davey Tree Expert Company, one of the nation’s largest ESOP companies.
- In 2019, Paul represented the seller in the acquisition of GS Precision, Inc., a global leader in the manufacture of critical components for the aerospace and defense industries with operations in New Hampshire, Vermont, California, and Mexico, by a private equity buyer. He also represented the owner of the Reading Plus learning platform in its acquisition by a private equity buyer.
- In 2018, Paul led the team that represented Sonnax Industries, an ESOP company that manufactures specialty automotive aftermarket products, in its sale to a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway. He also led efforts to complete the restructuring of a specialty beverages company and its subsequent sale to a strategic buyer, the recapitalization of an apparel company and the sale of an Arizona-based solar generation rooftop mounting systems company to a Dutch strategic buyer.
- In 2017, Paul led teams on the sale of Vermont Creamery, a specialty cheese company, to Land O’Lakes, the sale of NutraGenesis, a nutraceutical ingredients company, to Innophos and Mass. Bay Brewing Company’s acquisition of the Clown Shoes beer brand.
- Paul led a team representing Country Home Products, which is a direct marketer of outdoor power equipment under the DR brand, in its sale to Generac. The comment from the acquiring company’s general counsel was this: “This was probably the smoothest deal I’ve ever worked on. A truly enjoyable experience.”
- Paul regularly represents borrowers and issuers in the placement of secured and unsecured debt, both in traditional bank-led credit facilities, as well as private placements of notes and bond financings. Over the past decade, he has led teams closing on over $1,000,000,000 of debt financings.
- Paul frequently assists clients in developing equity-based and quasi-equity-based incentive programs for their key managers. He enjoys working with clients on joint venture agreements, co-branding agreements and other strategically important contractual relationships.
U.S. District Court, District of Vermont, 1982
Law clerk to the Honorable Albert W. Coffrin, Chief Judge for the U.S. District Court for the District of Vermont, 1981-1982
Memberships & Activities
American Bar Association Corporate Laws Committee, member and Vermont State Liaison
Vermont Business Roundtable, former member of Board of Directors
Vermont Bar Association, Business Association Law Section, member and former Chair
Vistage, a CEO peer group organization, former member
Accolades & Awards
Listed in Best Lawyers®, Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2005-2021
2018 Best Lawyers regional “Lawyer of the Year” award for corporate law
2019, 2015 Best Lawyers regional “Lawyer of the Year” award for mergers and acquisitions law
2010 Best Lawyers regional “Lawyer of the Year” award for corporate law
Included, consistently since 2003, in the first tier of Vermont lawyers in Chambers USA: Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
Ranked, consistently, among the top five percent of attorneys in Vermont by Super Lawyers® magazine in the areas of business/corporate law and mergers and acquisitions
Holds Martindale-Hubbell’s AV® peer rating, the highest rating attainable
Awarded the 2004 Board Member of the Year Award for his service to the United Way
Awarded the Lake Champlain Regional Chamber of Commerce’s 2003 Community Excellence Award for service to the community
Flynn Center for the Performing Arts, Chair of Board of Directors
Parks Foundation of Burlington, member of Board of Directors and Secretary
Honorary Commander, Vermont Air National Guard
United Way of Chittenden County, former member of Board of Directors, former Chair of United Way Campaign
City of Burlington Design Review Board, former member
Greater Burlington YMCA, former member of Board of Directors
Northern Vermont Chapter of the American Red Cross, former member, and Chair, of the Board of Directors