199 Main Street
Burlington, VT 05402-0190
Seasoned business attorney, focused on helping clients build value.
Paul Ode provides strategic corporate and business advice to a range of established businesses and growing entrepreneurial companies. He structures and closes acquisitions and divestitures. He assists clients with raising capital, negotiates clients’ critical contractual arrangements and helps find solutions to problems that could threaten the trajectory of his clients’ businesses. Paul also guides clients through financing transactions and restructurings, and assists them with achieving compliance with regulatory requirements. As managing partner and CEO at Downs Rachlin Martin since 2008, Paul has a unique perspective when it comes to achieving clients’ most important business objectives.
- In 2015, Paul led a team representing a Vermont-based manufacturer in its sale to a publicly traded company. The transaction was on an accelerated track, and it required significant tax-driven structuring, divestment of an overseas joint venture and compliance with requirements related to existing EB-5 financing. The comment from the acquiring company’s general counsel was this: “This was probably the smoothest deal I’ve ever worked on. A truly enjoyable experience.”
- Recently represented a Vermont-based specialty manufacturing company in acquiring the stock of an out-of-state company that has a complementary product line. The transaction took two years to complete, and required coordination of both acquisition and financing strategies. The client is seeing synergies from the acquisition and the opportunity to reach new markets.
- Paul regularly represents borrowers and issuers in the placement of secured and unsecured debt, both in traditional bank-led credit facilities, as well as private placements of notes and bond financings. Since 2012, he has led teams closing on over $350,000,000 of debt financing. Clients have benefited from his ability to get the deals closed within the client’s prescribed timeframe, without surprises.
- Represented the surviving corporation in the merger of Vermont’s two largest electric utilities, and he continues to represent the surviving corporation on various matters, including asset acquisitions and financing transactions.
- For over a decade, Paul has represented a publicly traded Canadian corporation with respect to the operations of several US-based direct and indirect subsidiaries. Most recently, this representation has involved the restructuring, domestication and ultimate merger of a foreign subsidiary with an affiliated company in a transaction that enables the client to achieve both its business and tax objectives.
- Frequently assists clients in developing equity-based and quasi-equity-based incentive programs for their key managers. He has assisted several clients with adopting ESOPs.
- Paul enjoys working with the entrepreneurs who are leading start-up and early stage companies. He has assisted clients who are launching or growing companies in the financial services, cheese, ice cream, beverage, footwear and other businesses.
Cornell Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1981
Middlebury College, B.A., cum laude, 1978
Law clerk to the Honorable Albert W. Coffrin, Chief Judge for the U.S. District Court for the District of Vermont, 1981-1982
U.S. District Court, District of Vermont, 1982
- American Bar Association Corporate Laws Committee, member and Vermont State Liaison
- Vermont Business Roundtable, member of Board of Directors
- Vermont Bar Association, Business Association Law Section, member and former Chair
- United Way of Chittenden County, former member of Board of Directors, former Chair of United Way Campaign
- City of Burlington Design Review Board, former member
- Greater Burlington YMCA, former member of Board of Directors
- Northern Vermont Chapter of the American Red Cross, former member, and Chair, of the Board of Directors
- Vistage, a CEO peer group organization, member
- Listed in Best Lawyers®, Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2005-2018
- 2018 Best Lawyers regional "Lawyer of the Year" award for corporate law
- 2015 Best Lawyers regional "Lawyer of the Year" award for mergers and acquisitions law
- 2010 Best Lawyers regional "Lawyer of the Year" award for corporate law
- Included, consistently since 2003, in the first tier of Vermont lawyers in Chambers USA: Guide to America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- Ranked, consistently, among the top five percent of attorneys in Vermont by Super Lawyers® magazine in the areas of business/corporate law and mergers and acquisitions
- Holds Martindale-Hubbell's AV® peer rating, the highest rating attainable
- Awarded the 2004 Board Member of the Year Award for his service to the United Way
- Awarded the Lake Champlain Regional Chamber of Commerce's 2003 Community Excellence Award for service to the community
199 Main Street
Burlington, VT 05402-0190ph: 802-863-2375