Lebanon, NH 03766-1461
Nancy Malmquist is Vice Chair of Downs Rachlin Martin’s Energy & Telecommunications Group. Her practice focuses on energy and telecommunications law, transactions and facilities siting. Nancy makes it a priority to understand the business objectives, technology and economics driving her clients’ projects. She provides strategic direction and advice to national and regional energy generation and transmission providers; renewable energy companies; and telecommunications, cable television, wireless, and VoIP companies. For these companies, Nancy is adept at obtaining regulatory and siting approvals, and negotiating favorable agreements. She often represents clients before state public utility commissions, federal and state agencies to successfully assist their companies on project siting, certification, approvals for asset sales, acquisitions and mergers, financings, restructurings, and Eligible Telecommunications Carrier designation. Nancy has substantial experience negotiating power contracts and interconnection agreements.
Before joining DRM, Nancy was special counsel at the Vermont Public Service Department, where she was responsible for litigation before the Public Utility Commission and regulatory and policy matters involving the telecommunications, cable television and electric utility industries. Previously, Nancy practiced corporate and securities law at Ropes & Gray in Boston, MA and Washington, D.C.
- Successfully obtained siting approval for a 20 MW solar facility to be constructed in Ludlow and Cavendish, Vermont – the largest in the state.
- Obtained regulatory approvals for sale of the company owning hydroelectric facilities with a nameplate capacity in excess of 530 MW, located along the Connecticut River and Deerfield River.
- Represented the board of directors of the seller in the successful auction and sale of the state’s largest generation station, while overseeing the multi-state and federal regulatory approval process.
- Successfully obtained many siting approvals for transmission line and substation projects for a global transmission and energy company.
- Assists solar energy and other renewable energy project developers (including traditional utilities and independent developers), purchasers and owners, with siting and regulatory proceedings; as well as with construction, lease, financing, interconnection, acquisition, and power purchase agreements.
- Obtained approvals for the acquisition of the telephone exchanges of the largest telephone company in Vermont, and for the subsequent change of control of the telecommunications company.
- Obtained franchise renewal for a national company operating a cable television system in Vermont.
- At different times, obtained regulatory approvals for the sale or purchase of large hydroelectric generating facilities along the Connecticut and Deerfield Rivers.
- Obtained Eligible Telecommunications Carrier (ETC) designations for wireless provider to enable company to participate in FCC auction to obtain support to deploy mobile voice and broadband services to unserved areas.
- Provide regulatory, transaction and contract development support to renewable energy, solar and wind energy companies in Vermont, New Hampshire and Massachusetts.
- Obtained state regulatory approvals for the acquisition and merger of a national transmission company by and with a global transmission and energy company.
- Guided the purchaser on the acquisition of an electric distribution company.
- Because Nancy practices energy, telecommunications and cable television law with such diligence and singular focus, she has been able to positively influence the outcome of a number of significant matters quietly, professionally, and cost effectively.
Boston College Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1983 Editor Boston College Environmental Affairs Law Review
Dartmouth College, A.B., cum laude, 1979
New Hampshire, 2016
- American Bar Association
- Vermont Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- New Hampshire Bar Association
- Energy Efficiency and Demand Response Committee of Northeast Energy and Commerce Association (NECA), member
- Before joining DRM, Nancy was special counsel at the Vermont Public Service Department, where she was responsible for litigation before the Public Utility Commission and regulatory and policy matters involving the telecommunications, cable television and electric utility industries. Previously, Nancy practiced corporate and securities law at Ropes & Gray in Boston, Mass., and Washington, D.C.
- Two Rivers-Ottauquechee Regional Commission, Commissioner and Member of Executive Committee
- Nancy is President of the Dartmouth College Association of Gift Planning Chairs, and she serves on the Executive Committee of the Dartmouth College Class Officers Association. She also serves as a Dartmouth College class officer (gift planning chair).
- Nancy is a member of the Town of West Fairlee Planning Commission; and a member of the Town of West Fairlee Board of Adjustment.
- Served as co-chair of the Parent Annual Fund of The Holderness School in Plymouth, N.H.
- Speaker, Opportunities for Community Solar in New Hampshire; Workshop and Panel organized by Sustainable Hanover (April 27, 2017).
Lebanon, NH 03766-1461ph: 603-448-2211