Vermont Law School, J.D., summa cum laude; Managing Editor, Vermont Law Review
University of Pennsylvania, B.S. Wharton School, B.A. College of Arts and Sciences, cum laude
- Resolved a collective bargaining negotiation with a 3-year agreement, allowing the organization to re-focus its resources on its core business through a collaborative management resolution process.
- Successfully defeated union allegations that the union president had been unlawfully disciplined for his status as a union officer by demonstrating to the NLRB that the union president was disciplined for legitimate business reasons, and so the union withdrew the charge.
- Partners with clients to develop customized, successful labor philosophies. Utilizing his own collaborative process, John helps senior management teams develop effective strategies to resolve challenging labor issues.
- Handles complicated separation of employment matters. Employment transitions are a fact of life and John is often called upon by management teams to facilitate a smooth, respectful and efficient transition process, while also minimizing legal risk.
- Regularly provides engaging and interactive presentations for managers on effective labor relations, performance management, sexual harassment, and leaves of absence. Most notably, John regularly trains managers on the effective utilization of the provisions of a collective-bargaining agreement.
New York, 2017
Honorable Denise Johnson, Vermont Supreme Court, 1994-1995
Memberships & Activities
VBA, Labor and Employment Law Section
ABA, Labor and Employment Law Section
Accolades & Awards
Best Lawyers®, Labor Law – Management, Regional “Lawyer of the Year”, 2015-2016, 2019
Best Lawyers®, Labor Law – Management, Employment Law – Management, 2012-2023
Chambers USA, since 2004
United Way of Chittenden County, Board of Directors, 2002-09; Board Chair 2007-09
Visiting Nurses Association of Chittenden and Grand Isle Counties, Board of Directors, 2012 – 2018; Board Chair, 2016-2018
Wake Robin Corporation, Board of Directors, 2019 – current COTS, Board of Directors, 2021 – current
Numerous each year – VHRA, RVHRA, ASHHRA, SHRM