Brattleboro, VT 05301-3668
Health law and tax credit financing lawyer immersed in the marketplace.
Immersed in the Health Law and Tax Credit Financing marketplace, Craig has an in-depth understanding of his client’s needs. Long before the adoption of the Affordable Care Act and Vermont’s drive to universal health care coverage, Craig assisted clients with physician practice acquisitions, Certificate of Need applications, physician contracting and credentialing matters, peer review investigations, and a host of regulatory and risk management matters. Craig has used this experience to become a respected presenter and advisor on state and national health care reform efforts.
Consistent with his style of immersion lawyering, Craig has also become a key player in Vermont’s tax credit financing marketplace. Not only has Craig successfully guided numerous clients through this arcane field, he was the founding member of the Brooks House Development Group, a collection of civically-minded entrepreneurs in Southeastern Vermont who have redeveloped an 87,000 square foot commercial building in downtown Brattleboro, Vermont.
- Assisted a number of Vermont hospitals with the successful transition from an independent practice model to an employment model, including the development of flexible physician incentive programs
- Helped the Brattleboro Retreat expand its high-acuity treatment facilities and negotiate long-term agreements with payers, including the State of Vermont
- Acted as lead NMTC and local permitting counsel for tax credit financing projects in Vermont and across the country.
- Guided a Vermont hospital through the FQHC application process and the related Certificate of Need Process.
- Provided guidance to hospitals facing termination of provider agreements by CMS.
- Assisted many Vermont hospitals with the divestiture of non-core assets in response to Vermont health care reform efforts.
University of Connecticut School of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, 2002 Associate Editor, Connecticut Law Review
Harvard College, A.B. History, 1992
- Vermont, 2003
- New Hampshire, 2005
- Massachusetts, 2015
- American Bar Association: Health Law Section, 2005
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- New Hampshire Bar Association: Health Law Section
- Vermont Bar Association: Health Law Section
- Craig teaches Legal Issues in Healthcare Management in the Marlboro College Graduate School’s Master of Science in Management – Healthcare Administration Program.
- He also serves on the Board of Directors of the Brattleboro Development Credit Corporation and the Vice-Chairman of the Brattleboro Development Review Board.
- Speaker, Ethical Issues Involving Consent and Treatment, Brattleboro Memorial Hospital Ethics Seminar (Brattleboro, Vermont, 2013)
- Speaker, Can New Markets Tax Credits Help Your Business?, DRM Northeast Kingdom and North Country New Markets Tax Credits Seminar (Lyndon, Vermont, November 12, 2013)
- Speaker, The Payer Perspective: Various Health Reform Programs in New England, HFMA Region One 11th Annual Healthcare Conference (Uncasville, Connecticut, May 17-18, 2012)
- Speaker, Preparing for the New Federal and State (Vermont) Health Care Laws, Downs Rachlin Martin PLLC’s Upper Valley Employment Law Seminar (West Lebanon, New Hampshire, 2011 and 2012)
- Speaker, Physician Productivity Incentives in Hospital Physician Contracts, 75th Vermont Association of Hospitals and Health Systems Annual Meeting (Burlington, Vermont, September 16-17, 2010)
- Speaker, Health Information: Security, Privacy and Discovery, Vermont Bar Association 53rd Mid-Year Meeting (Burlington, Vermont, March 19, 2010)
Brattleboro, VT 05301-3668ph: 802-258-3070