Boston College Law School, J.D., summa cum laude
Boston College Law Review, Executive Notes Editor
University of Vermont Graduate College, M.A. English Literature
University of Vermont, B.A. English and History, magna cum laude
- Obtained preliminary injunction enforcing noncompete agreement against high-level former employee at an international cybersecurity company.
- Represented school districts challenging forced mergers of school governance under Act 46. Billy authored and argued a complex summary judgment motion in the trial court.
- Assisted in obtaining defense verdict in bench trial that found client not responsible for alleged defects in flooring product. On appeal, Billy successfully argued the case before a full panel of the Vermont Supreme Court.
- The Vermont Supreme Court affirmed in a published decision.
- Co-authored amicus brief to Vermont Supreme Court in support of Vermont’s ban on large-capacity magazines on behalf of Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence.
- Obtained dismissal of personal injury claim against client in trial court. Successfully argued for affirmance of dismissal before Vermont Supreme Court.
U.S. District Court for the District of Vermont, 2019
U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts, 2019
New Hampshire, 2020
U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, 2021
Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable Norman H. Stahl, U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, 2017-2018
Judicial Law Clerk to the Honorable Douglas P. Woodlock, U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts, 2016-2017
Memberships & Activities
Federal Bar Association
Chittenden County Bar Association
Burlington Neighborhood Planning Assembly, Steering Committee Ward 5
Reis v. Ben & Jerry’s Homemade & Liberty Mut. Ins. Co., No. 2020-040, 2020 WL 2213670 (Vt. May 1, 2020)
Lofts Essex, LLC v. Strategis Floor & Decor Inc., 2019 VT 82, 224 A.3d 116 (2019)
Small Cells, Big Problems: The Increasing Precision of Cell Site Location Information and the Need for Fourth Amendment Protections, 106 J. CRIM. L. & Criminology 167 (2016) (with Robert Bloom)
Protecting the Privacies of Digital Life: Riley v California, the Fourth Amendment’s Particularity Requirement, and search Protocols for Cell Phone Search Warrants, 56 B.C. L. REV. 1981 (2015)