Albany Law School, J.D.; Albany Law Review, Editor-in-Chief
Hobart College, B.A.
- Tom represented private equity firms in numerous convertible debt and preferred stock transactions aggregating over $500 million.
- Represented New England family office in connection with numerous investments and portfolio management issues.
- Acted as counsel to individual investors in connection with the acquisition, financing and build-out of numerous start-up businesses.
- Represented a US industrial products company in a business acquisition and related senior debt, mezzanine debt and equity financings.
- Advised an international outsourcing company in connection with numerous acquisitions, financings and shareholder matters involving transactions in the United States, India, Australia and in the UK.
- Aided a US consumer products company in obtaining substantial investment under federal EB-5 financing/immigration program.
- Assisted a US private equity firm in connection with the formation of offshore investment vehicles.
- Aided a commercial bank in a $1.4 billion syndicated loan transaction.
- Served as special counsel to a renewable energy fund in connection with its sale of a portfolio of 22 hydro-electric plants located in the eastern United States.
Memberships & Activities
VBA Business Association Section Chair 2006-present
American Bar Association: Business Law Section, Member, 1990-present
Green Mountain Bicycle Club, Board Member, 1999-present
Burlington Criterium, Race Director, 1999-present
Green Mountain Waterskiers, Member, 2005-present
Richard Tom Foundation, Founding Board Member
Catamount Outdoor Family Center, Former Board Member
Lake Iroquois Association, Former Board Member
Tom is an avid cyclist, alpine skier, water skier and sailor. He enjoys building stone walls, making furniture, painting, playing guitar and spending time with friends and family.
Accolades & Awards
Awarded the “President’s Award” at the 2015 Vermont Bar Association Annual Meeting for “Extraordinary Efforts and Service to the Business Law Section” for leading the drafting, introduction and passage of the 2015 revision of the Vermont Limited Liability Company Act.
Named the Best Lawyers® 2021 Corporate Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Burlington, Vermont.
Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the fields of Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions, and Venture Capital Law, 2005-2022
Selected again by New England Super Lawyers® for recognition in the fields: Business/Corporate, and Mergers and Acquisitions, 2013-2020
Chambers and Partners, 2006-2018
Speaker, Vermont Bar Association Annual Meeting, Selling a Vermont Business: Advanced Issues in Private Sale Transactions (Burlington, Vermont, October 13, 2017)
Speaker, Vermont Bar Association Annual Meeting, Year-in-Review, 2016 Revision of Vermont Corporate Merger Statute (Fairlee, Vermont, October 14, 2016)
Speaker, Vermont Bar Association Annual Meeting, 2015 Revisions of Vermont LLC Act; Advanced Issues in LLC Operating Agreements (Stowe, Vermont, September 25, 2015)
Speaker, Vermont Bar Association Informational Meeting, H.310, Revised Vermont Limited Liability Act (Rutland, Vermont, June 6, 2015)
Speaker, Vermont Bar Association Annual Meeting, Proposed Revisions of Vermont LLC Act (Killington, Vermont, September 19, 2014)
Speaker, Vermont Bar Association Annual Meeting, Business Law – Year in Review (Fairlee, Vermont, September 27, 2013)
Speaker, UVM Family Business Initiative, Business Law Considerations for Family Business Owners (November 8, 2013)
Speaker, KeyBank Symposium, Driving Change at Your Privately Held Business (February 21, 2013)
Speaker, Vermont Bar Association Annual Meeting, Overview of Vermont Business and Corporate Law (August 24, 2012)
Speaker, Vermont Bar Association Annual Meeting, Policy Issues Raised by Contemplated Revisions to the Limited Liability Company Act (Fairlee, Vermont, September 23, 2011)
Speaker, Vermont Farm Enhancement Viability Program – UVM, Access to Capital for Farm & Food Businesses; Choice of Entity – Implications and Considerations (December 7, 2010)
Speaker, UVM Invention to Venture Conference, Successful Strategic Partnerships (April 28, 2009)
Speaker, Vermont Bar Association Annual Meeting, Year-in-Review & Low-Profit Limited Liability Companies (September 26, 2008)
Speaker, Vermont Business Roundtable, Low-Profit Limited Liability Companies: Facilitating Program-Related Investments (July 24, 2008)
Speaker, Vermont Public Policy Committee, Made in Vermont…the L3C (July 7, 2008)
Speaker, Vermont Center for Emerging Technologies, The Due Diligence Process (April 1, 2008)
Speaker, Alta Club, Made in Vermont…the L3C (May 15, 2008)