199 Main Street
Burlington, VT 05402-0190
Business law attorney, providing strategic advice to business owners, investors and technology companies.
Tom Moody advises business owners, investors and technology companies in a variety of organizational and transactional matters. In his twenty-seven year career as a business attorney at Downs Rachlin Martin, Tom has served as counsel to investors and lenders, and has advised many small-to-medium sized businesses. Tom is a strategic thinker who brings creativity and business sense to his work.
While the mix of his practice is always evolving, he has worked a great deal with companies offering software as a service in healthcare, biotech, information security. His evolving practice recently took him to Singapore in connection with a client that is using the blockchain for cryptocurrency and security and authentication purposes.
Tom’s practice includes the formation of corporations and LLCs, a wide variety of debt and equity transactions, including venture capital transactions, mergers and business acquisitions, and executive compensation. In 2015, in his role as Chair of the Business Association Section of the Vermont Bar Association, Tom led an effort to substantially revise Vermont's Limited Liability Company Act. In 2016, he led another effort to update Vermont’s Business Corporations Act. Tom was the principal drafter of the revised corporate merger statute and worked on behalf of the Vermont Bar Association to move it through the House and Senate. That bill became law on July 1, 2017.
Tom recently was awarded the “President’s Award” for “Extraordinary Efforts and Service to the Business Law Section.” In 2014, Tom was named “Lawyer of the Year” by the Best Lawyers publication. Tom is actively involved with several non-profit organizations, including the Green Mountain Bicycle Club and the Richard Tom Foundation.
- Tom represented private equity firms in numerous convertible debt and preferred stock transactions aggregating over $500 million.
- Represented New England family office in connection with numerous investments and portfolio management issues.
- Acted as counsel to individual investors in connection with the acquisition, financing and build-out of numerous start-up businesses.
- Represented a US industrial products company in a business acquisition and related senior debt, mezzanine debt and equity financings.
- Advised an international outsourcing company in connection with numerous acquisitions, financings and shareholder matters involving transactions in the United States, India, Australia and in the UK.
- Aided a US consumer products company in obtaining substantial investment under federal EB-5 financing/immigration program.
- Assisted a US private equity firm in connection with the formation of offshore investment vehicles.
- Aided a commercial bank in a $1.4 billion syndicated loan transaction.
- Served as special counsel to a renewable energy fund in connection with its sale of a portfolio of 22 hydro-electric plants located in the eastern United States.
Albany Law School, J.D., 1983 Albany Law Review, Editor-in-Chief, 1982-1983
Hobart College, B.A., 1979
- VBA Business Section LLC Act Drafting Committee, Co-chair, 2013-2016
- VBA Business Section Corporations Act Drafting Committee, Chair, 2016
- American Bar Association: Uniform Commercial Code Committee, Member, 1990-2016
- Richard Tom Foundation, Founding Board Member, 2016
- Lake Champlain Maritime Museum, Advisory Board Member, 2016
- Lake Iroquois Boaters Association, Founding Board Member, 2016
- Green Mountain Bicycle Club, Board Member, 1999-2016
- Burlington Criterium, Race Director, 1999-2016
- Green Mountain Waterskiers, Member, 2005-2016
- Catamount Outdoor Family Center, Former Board Member
- Lake Iroquois Association, Former Board Member
Tom lives in Williston with his partner, Karen. He is an avid cyclist, alpine skier, water skier and sailor. He enjoys building stone walls, making furniture, painting, playing guitar and spending time with his partner and children.
- Awarded the “President’s Award” at the 2015 Vermont Bar Association Annual Meeting for “Extraordinary Efforts and Service to the Business Law Section” for leading the drafting, introduction and passage of the 2015 revision of the Vermont Limited Liability Company Act.
- Named the Best Lawyers® 2014 Corporate Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Burlington, Vermont.
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the fields of Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions, and Venture Capital Law, 2005-2018
- Selected again by New England Super Lawyers® for recognition in the fields: Business/Corporate, and Mergers and Acquisitions, 2015-2017
- Chambers and Partners, 2006-2017
199 Main Street
Burlington, VT 05402-0190ph: 802-863-2375