Vanderbilt University School of Law, J. D.
Dartmouth College, A. B., cum laude with high distinction in major
- Tom has created family entities to preserve attractive vacation homes for future generations, from Colorado to Lake Sunapee.
- During low interest rate periods, worked with clients to establish a series of grantor retained annuity trusts in order to remove assets from the estates of clients requiring tax planning.
- Collaborated with a family to successfully administer a trust containing and then liquidating the largest collection of antique Bugatti automobiles in North America, including one Bugatti referred to as the Mona Lisa of the antique car world.
- Utilized his business experience to advise estate planning clients with respect to the renovation of a centuries old New England inn as a legacy to their town, including its eventual disposition.
- Guided and counseled artists with respect to the organization of their collections and the eventual, fruitful disposition and management of their portfolios.
- In his voluntary work, Tom has assisted a local church in organizing a planned giving program for the long term sustenance of the congregation.
- Has drafted so-called dynasty trusts for families, including one designed not only to preserve assets for the next generation, but with a focus on three or four generations distant.
- With his familiarity with the Uniform Trust Code, Tom has worked with clients to terminate irrevocable trusts through the use of non-judicial settlement agreements.
- Represented medical school component of major medical center in defense of its charitable exemption under New Hampshire ad valorem tax statute.
New Hampshire, 1980
Memberships & Activities
Grafton County Bar Association
New Hampshire Bar Association
Vermont Bar Association
Accolades & Awards
Listed in Best Lawyers® since 2011
2016 Susan Colgate Cleveland Medal for Distinguished Service to Colby-Sawyer College
Trustee of Colby-Sawyer College
Moderator for Dresden and Hanover School Districts
Chair of Finance Advisory Committee of Church of Christ at Dartmouth
Director of Hanover Rotary Club
Director of Theta Delta Chi Fraternity
Executive Committee of Friends of Dartmouth Football
Author, Keeping the Vacation Home in the Family, New Hampshire Business Review (November 29, 2013)
Speaker, Intentionally Defective Grantor Trusts and Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts, New Hampshire Bar Association Seminar: Advanced Estate Planning (April 19, 2013)