Lebanon, NH 03766-1461
Trusts and Estates counselor - experienced, innovative and knowledgeable.
With a career spanning nearly four decades, Tom Csatari has built a reputation as a wise counselor and trusted advocate who delivers highly personalized attention to all his clients, corporate and individual. Before joining Downs Rachlin Martin, Tom spent 12 years as in-house counsel at a non-profit healthcare system that included a teaching hospital, for whom he handled all aspects of law related to the provision of hospital services.
Since joining the firm, Tom has focused his practice on trusts and estates where he consistently applies his knowledge of the intricacies of business matters to the art of individual financial planning. By applying this business acumen to his trusts and estates practice, he regularly delivers innovative guidance to a wide variety of clients from corporate leaders, to artists and even collectors. The level-headed approach he adopted while dealing with the corporate, regulatory, risk management, and medical staff issues inherent in the health care system, still serves him and his clients as they address the often emotional issues surrounding estate and trust planning. With the benefit of substantial experience as an estate planner, service as an in-house attorney for a large hospital system and prestigious university, as well as having been local counsel for small corporations and nonprofits, Tom brings maturity and breadth to his work.
- Tom has created family entities to preserve attractive vacation homes for future generations, from Colorado to Lake Sunapee.
- During low interest rate periods, worked with clients to establish a series of grantor retained annuity trusts in order to remove assets from the estates of clients requiring tax planning.
- Collaborated with a family to successfully administer a trust containing and then liquidating the largest collection of antique Bugatti automobiles in North America, including one Bugatti referred to as the Mona Lisa of the antique car world.
- Utilized his business experience to advise estate planning clients with respect to the renovation of a centuries old New England inn as a legacy to their town, including its eventual disposition.
- Guided and counseled artists with respect to the organization of their collections and the eventual, fruitful disposition and management of their portfolios.
- In his voluntary work, Tom has assisted a local church in organizing a planned giving program for the long term sustenance of the congregation.
- Has drafted so-called dynasty trusts for families, including one designed not only to preserve assets for the next generation, but with a focus on three or four generations distant.
- With his familiarity with the Uniform Trust Code, Tom has worked with clients to terminate irrevocable trusts through the use of non-judicial settlement agreements.
- Represented medical school component of major medical center in defense of its charitable exemption under New Hampshire ad valorem tax statute.
Vanderbilt University School of Law, J. D., 1977
Dartmouth College, A. B., cum laude with high distinction in major, 1974
New Hampshire, 1980
- American Bar Association, 2002
- Grafton County Bar Association
- New Hampshire Bar Association
- Vermont Bar Association
- Listed in Best Lawyers® since 2011
- 2016 Susan Colgate Cleveland Medal for Distinguished Service
Colby-Sawyer College, Board of Directors (10 years) and Chair (5 years)
- Author, Keeping the Vacation Home in the Family, New Hampshire Business Review (November 29, 2013)
- Speaker, Intentionally Defective Grantor Trusts and Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts, New Hampshire Bar Association Seminar: Advanced Estate Planning (April 19, 2013)
Lebanon, NH 03766-1461ph: 603-448-2211