199 Main Street
Burlington, VT 05401
Matt Woodbury helps businesses realize their goals in a tax-efficient manner.
Focusing his practice on all aspects of tax law, Matt Woodbury has represented a wide range of clients, including real estate developers, investors, closely held businesses and large domestic and international corporations. He provides tax advice with respect to many federal and state tax issues, including business formation; transactions involving federal New Markets, Historic, Solar Energy, and Low-Income Housing Tax Credits; tax-exempt status; corporate and pass-through taxation; stock and asset acquisitions and dispositions; and executive compensation. Matt also advises clients on state and local tax matters, including state tax credits, transfer taxes, tax audits, appeals and structuring business activities to minimize state tax liabilities.
Matt’s experience and knowledge of the intricacies of tax law benefit several DRM practice areas, including: general corporate, health care law, white collar defense and government enforcement, and international legal services.
Matt is a former AmeriCorps volunteer and is fluent in French. Embracing the Vermont lifestyle, Matt and his family enjoy getting outside as much as possible – particularly hiking, biking and gardening.
- Advised developers and investors on partnership tax law, corporate tax, tax-exempt status, and tax credits for complex multi-party commercial real estate transactions involving low-income housing tax credits, new markets tax credits, historic tax credits, and energy credits. Advised on sale of state tax credits.
- Assisted for-profit LIHTC developer with balancing capital accounts before exiting investor limited partner.
- Advised on tax consequences of domestic and international business transactions.
- Advised clients on structuring closely held business transfers and sales.
- Tax review of public company merger filings for public banks, including tax-free corporate reorganizations and drafted tax opinions regarding compliance with reorganization rules.
- Advised U.S. and non-U.S. individuals on income, gift and estate taxes, charitable gifts, foreign asset reporting, withholding, investments, taxation of trusts, and tax treaties.
- Advised private foundations and public charities on tax-exempt status and corporate issues.
- Structured and advised on business and individual transactions.
Harvard Law School, J.D., 2013
Swarthmore College, B.A. English (minor in Music), 2006
American Bar Association
Co-author, Check the Box Elections for Non-U.S. Business Entities, Journal of International Tax, Trust and Corporate Planning (October 10, 2017)
199 Main Street
Burlington, VT 05401ph: 802-863-2375