199 Main Street
Burlington, VT 05401
Compassionate legal nurse consultant.
A seasoned Legal Nurse Consultant, Marie Whitbeck brings compassion to the litigation process and understanding to the complicated medical morass associated with personal injury, especially in the area of traumatic brain injury. Recognized in the legal community and within the firm for her legal acumen, caring nature and keen relationship management skills, Marie has also been appointed the firm’s office and paralegal manager. In these roles, she provides support, in-house educational opportunities and workflow coordination to paralegals and support staff across the firm’s five offices.
- Played a key role in several multi-million dollar awards through trial verdicts and settlement of matters involving traumatic brain injury, wrongful death and motor vehicle/motorcycle accident claims.
- Uses her medical background to help clients better understand treatment options and insurance coverage.
- Actively participates in developing and implementing case strategy by partnering with the victim, their family and Downs Rachlin Martin lead traumatic brain injury litigator, Bob Luce.
- Marie’s greatest contribution to the personal injury practice is the emotional support she provides both clients and their families through the stress of litigation. In the word of a client, “our family remains forever grateful to Bob, Marie and the firm of Downs Rachlin Martin. Their solid legal expertise, steadfastness, determination and extreme empathy has given our family a priceless gift of peace.”
- Throughout the legal community Marie is widely respected for her knowledge of medical issues, her management of personal injury matters and her client counseling skills.
- Provides research and support for the Traumatic Brain Injury Blog, which helps people better understand the impact of brain injury and the remarkable work being done to improve our ability to diagnose, treat and prevent brain injury and to obtain compensation for brain injury caused by negligence.
- Prior to becoming the Firm’s Office Manager in 2013, Marie served as Paralegal Manager since 2010, and as the Litigation Paralegal Coordinator, a position she held since 1993.
Keuka College, B.S. Nursing, 1981
American Association of Legal Nurse Consultants
Marie is the 2012 recipient of the Diane Lynch Distinguished Service Award, which is an award given annually to a current or former Downs Rachlin Martin employee who has demonstrated the loyalty, dedication, professionalism, selflessness and commitment exemplified by Diane Lynch, a long-serving human resources coordinator who died of cancer.
Marie has served on SerVermont, formerly the Commission on National and community Service, a commission that promotes, supports and recognizes community service and volunteerism throughout Vermont. She has served as treasurer of the Vermont chapter of the American Association of Legal Nurse consultants, as well as a member of the board of directors of the Shelburne Children’s Center and as a United Way campaign coordinator.
- “… our family remains forever grateful to Bob, Marie and the firm of Downs Rachlin Martin. Their solid legal expertise, steadfastness, determination and extreme empathy has given our family a priceless gift of peace.”
- “Robert Luce, Esquire and Marie B. Whitbeck, Legal Nurse Consultant, provided excellent legal expertise, networking, compassion and tireless advocacy at a time when our son had a severe personal injury resulting in TBI. Very creative and always prepared in their approach to find ways to make sure that the injured person is provided for. Compensation where none was thought to occur – did. They are efficient, fast and excellent to work with…Marie further adds wealth to their work by combining a cycle of networking with doctors, clinicians and introducing appropriate seminars to their clients which then provide aid in soothing the emotional trauma regarding a permanent injury to both the injured client and his family.”
- “Working with Bob and Marie will bring you a satisfying end result. Their selfless contributions to personal injury victims are impeccable.”
- “Bob and his nurse consultant Marie Whitbeck met us at the hospital and impressed us immediately with their genuine and caring approach to my wife’s welfare…There were many hurdles to overcome to get this great result, which Bob and his team managed flawlessly. We are sincerely grateful to Bob and the DRM team for making our long road a little smoother. I can’t say enough about their responsiveness, explanations we understand, and guidance at every step of the process.“
- “From the very first meeting with Bob and Marie Whitbeck, his legal nurse consultant, we knew instantly that we were in good hands. They were most sympathetic and supportive to our needs and gave us the encouragement to carry on our efforts in the hopes that justice could finally be served.”
Marie has presented seminars on personal injury litigation and medical malpractice, including seminars directed to paralegals, attorneys and traumatic brain injury survivors and their families.