Montpelier, VT 05602-3176
Senior government relations specialist – logical process, skilled relationship manager.
Lucie Garand has spent the last two decades of her professional life immersed in the health care industry, first as an employee of the Vermont Association of Hospitals and Health Systems (VAHHS) and now as part of the Downs Rachlin Martin Government Affairs and Health Care Law groups. Armed with a deep understanding of all aspects of health care legislation and the administration of health care, she focuses her practice on representing hospitals, pharmaceutical companies, and other health care entities. Understanding the nature of the legislature, she carefully builds long-term relationships with key lawmakers, members of the administration and fellow advocates to accomplish long-range client goals. Lucie’s skill for developing strong interpersonal relationships has helped her to become a state and regional health care expert.
Lucie has successfully shepherded a number of legislative proposals that have helped her clients, but more importantly, Vermonters. A sampling of her achievements include:
- Successfully secured state funding to expand mental health capacity and treatment for patients.
- Efficaciously advocated for legislation that prohibits a health insurer or pharmacy benefit manager that uses step-therapy protocols from requiring a patient to fail on a medication more than once before its use is discontinued.
- Obtained language that prohibits a health insurer or pharmacy benefit manager from requiring the use of drugs not indicated by the Federal Food and Drug Administration and allowing health care professionals to prescribe a medication for off-label use and language that limits out-of-pockets costs for prescription drugs for those who have private insurance.
- Fought vigorously for legislation that passed in Vermont to tighten the philosophical exemption from state childhood vaccination requirements by requiring parents who opt not to vaccinate their children to sign a statement declaring that they understand the risks to others of contracting a vaccine-preventable disease.
- Successfully lobbied for passage of a bill to provide timely judicial review and treatment for involuntary psychiatric patients.
- Worked to pass legislation to reduce the time for insurers to respond to prior authorization requests for medical procedures, medical tests, and prescription drugs within an abbreviated time period.
- Secured language ensuring that patients have immediate access to any FDA-approved cannabidiol prescription medication being developed for the treatment of intractable childhood epilepsies. Allows providers to prescribe and pharmacists to dispense the product upon FDA approval.
- Successfully advocated for the Department of Financial Regulation to issue an insurance bulletin regarding the requirements for the availability and coverage of tobacco cessation programs. https://dfr.vermont.gov/sites/finreg/files/regbul/dfr-bulletin-insurance-193.pdf
- Continues to fight for an increase in Medicaid payments to providers to reduce the cost shift and lower private insurance costs.
Community College of Vermont
Southeastern Academy, Certificate in Travel and Tourism
Vermont Leadership Institute
- Agency of Education Harassment, Hazing and Bullying Advisory Council
- Lake Champlain Regional Chamber of Commerce Government Affairs Committee
Usher, Barre Opera House
Montpelier, VT 05602-3176ph: 802-225-5500