199 Main Street
Burlington, VT 05402-0190
Results-oriented legal advisor with a holistic approach to intellectual property matters.
Larry Meier uses IP in creative and strategic ways to help clients achieve their business objectives. With over 25 years of IP legal experience under his belt, Larry relies on a wealth of innovative and practical approaches to solving client’s legal problems. As an engineer and former patent examiner, he combines diverse technical knowledge with a strong skill set across multiple areas: patent and trademark prosecution and maintenance, IP transactions, and IP dispute resolution. Chair of the Intellectual Property group, Larry develops and leads IP teams for optimal results, blending skill sets to obtain desired results at the lowest cost and on a timely basis. Larry likes solving problems, and does so with energy and enthusiasm.
Larry's holistic approach to intellectual property problem solving has lead to the following accomplishments:
- Assisted a client with drafting and negotiating an exclusive software license agreement for software that forms the basis for a first-in-the industry service offering, in a context where the starting assumptions of the parties were far apart and there was extreme pressure to close the deal fast.
- Negotiated a patent license agreement for a client involving a family of patents directed to technology used by a competitor, which was an industry leader in the relevant technology space. When business conditions between the parties changed, also assisted with drafting and negotiating an amended and restated version of the patent license agreement.
- Helped a client develop and implement an IP strategy for dealing with a fundamental change in the client’s market space that had the potential to deeply erode the need for its products. Larry identified and lead patenting efforts designed to block others from entering the market space with successor technology.
- Works with IP paralegals at the firm to maintain large, worldwide patent and trademark portfolios on a strategic and cost-effective basis.
- Helped a client analyze and then unwind a set of very unfavorable software license agreements with multiple vendors, and then drafted IP assignments and license agreements to replace the old agreements. This work was done to fulfill the client’s desire to create a large service offering featuring interconnected operation of the software programs from the multiple vendors.
- Represented plaintiffs and defendants in a wide range of IP disputes in federal and state courts, and before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, including post-grant procedures in the Patent Trial and Appeal Board and inter partes matters before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- Evaluated for a client a series of interrelated development and IP license agreements between three parties (including the client) where the party that was the intended recipient of the new technology decided to switch to another vendor’s technology. The evaluation included an analysis of whether or not the replacement technology infringed the client’s patents. The project concluded with a series of recommendations regarding how best to proceed, with a clear statement of the pros and cons of each possible approach.
Vermont Law School, J.D. 1982
Miami University, B.S. 1978
Western District of Massachusetts, 1983
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1984
U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, 1987
Western District of Washington, 1991
U.S. District Court for the District of Vermont, 1996
- American Intellectual Property Association.
- Passionate about exploring the outdoors, whether by running, hiking, Nordic skiing, sailing and biking.
- A life-long cellist, who continues to play in amateur orchestras and chamber groups.
- Derives great pleasure from cooking a good meal shared on the back porch with friends and family.
- New England Super Lawyers®: Intellectual Property, 2014-2017
- Listed in Best Lawyers®, Copyright Law, Litigation - Patent, Patent Law, Trademark Law, 2008-2018
- Chambers and Partners, 2011-2018
Champlain Philharmonic Orchestra, President and Chairman
199 Main Street
Burlington, VT 05402-0190ph: 802-863-2375