The George Washington University Law School, J.D., cum laude; Submissions Editor, The Federal Circuit Bar Journal
Union College, M.S. Mechanical Engineering
Syracuse University, B.S. Mechanical Engineering, summa cum laude
Kevin’s representative matters include working with clients to identify and characterize inventions, drafting and prosecuting patent applications, patent strategy and analysis, including leveraging patent landscaping studies to guide business decisions, technology development agreements and license agreements, and providing counseling and opinion relating to infringement, freedom to operate, USPTO post-grant trials, and federal court litigation. Here are some examples:
- Has obtained a large number of utility and design patents in a variety of technology areas for clients ranging from independent inventors to Fortune 500 companies.
- Has helped clients entering a new technology space with IP landscaping and analysis to guide research and development and identify risks and opportunities.
- Works with clients to navigate allegations of infringement, including identifying non-infringement positions, guiding clients on how to respond to allegations, and assessing options for invalidating patents via the USPTO’s post-grant procedures.
- Provides non-infringement and invalidity opinions for both utility and design patents for clients during product design and in advance of product launch.
- Patent and trademark litigation experience, including USPTO Post Grant Review proceedings, and in Federal district court in the areas of discovery, motion practice, Markman hearings, and developing witness testimony.
- Advises clients on proper agreements for technology development, including employee and independent contractor agreements, confidentiality agreements, and technology development agreements and drafts the same to ensure proper ownership of IP.
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2011
U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts, 2012
Memberships & Activities
US Delegate to Technical Advisory Group for ISO 279, developing international standards for best practices in innovation management
American Intellectual Property Law Association
International Association of Innovation Professionals
Accolades & Awards
Tau Beta Pi
Phi Kappa Phi
New Report From the USPTO Concludes Patenting Software in the United States Has Become Easier and More Predictable (June 2020)
Patent Marking (July 2019)
What is a Foreign Filing License (January 2019)
Effective Ways To Protect Your Intellectual Property: Leveraging International Design Applications to Obtain Provisional Patent Rights (January 2019)
Are You Sure You Own That Patent? (February 2018)
U.S. Supreme Court Continues to Chip Away at Patent Rights (June 2017)
Can Inventorship Be Challenged in a PGR Proceeding? (December 2016)
Launch VT IP Basics Lunch and Learn 2020;
Snow Industries America (SIA) 2017 Snow Show IP presentation
Dartmouth Regional Technical College (DRTC) Advanced Patent Topics 2017
Young Leaders of America Initiative (YLAI) 2018 Meeting IP Basics Presentation
UVM Grossman School of Business’s Sustainability Entrepreneurship MBA program (SEMBA) IP Basics Presentation 2017