Montpelier, VT 05602-3176
Strategic advice and the voice of experience.
With his long and varied background in government affairs and media relations, Joe Choquette’s DRM clients rely on his advice to accomplish their goals in the state legislature, navigate the complexities of state agencies or get the most out of productive media relations strategies. Joe grew up in Vermont, graduated from the University of Vermont and has spent more than 35 years working with Vermont government and the media. He has formed important working relationships with people in all walks of Vermont life. He has represented many of the state’s keystone industries and critical employers, worked effectively with important national trade associations and has given valuable advice to those in need of a friend in the state capitol. He is active in the communities in which we work and knows who to talk to and when.
- Helped to convince the legislature to adopt a significant tax credit for a prominent international manufacturer with a facility in Vermont which convinced the parent company to invest here instead of in a foreign country.
- Obtained legislative approval of a 50 year lease on state land for a developer building a destination resort at a legacy ski area in the state.
- Advised an important, privately-run health care institution on dealing with the media and the public as critical events unfolded.
- Provided daily monitoring, reporting and strategic advice regarding the Vermont General Assembly to the state's largest manufacturer over many years.
- Provided strategic advice to an important energy provider regarding a long-term investment and build-out, including legislative matters, media strategies and public relations.
- Served as spokesman for all matters relating to the petroleum industry in print, sound and broadcast.
- Successfully – and repeatedly – negotiated with state officials, state legislators and opposing parties over statewide policies for safety, environmental protection and tax policy for the motor fuels industry.
- Developed and executed a comprehensive outreach strategy and communication plan for the acquisition of a Vermont utility by a lesser-known out of state buyer.
University of Vermont, B.S. Biology, 1975
- Government Affairs Committee, Vermont Chamber of Commerce, Vice Chair
- Beyond Waste Task Force, Department of Environmental Conservation, 2014
- Petroleum Cleanup Fund Advisory Committee, 1988-present
- Board of Directors, Central Vermont Chamber of Commerce, 2015-present
- Vermont Society of Association Executives, Past President
- Vermont Sportswriters Sportscasters Association, Past President
- Rotarian of the Year, Montpelier Rotary Club, 2016-17
- EPA Environmental Merit Award, 1999
- Distinguished Service Award, Independent Oil Marketers Association of New England, 1999
- Montpelier Chamber Orchestra Society, President
- Montpelier Rotary Club – Chair, Program Committee; Past President; Past Assistant District Governor
- Mutuo, Inc.
- St. Monica Catholic Church, Lector
Panelist, New England Newspapers and Press Association Conference, 2017
Montpelier, VT 05602-3176ph: 802-225-5500