199 Main Street
Burlington, VT 05401
Personable labor and employment attorney, focused on proactive solutions for employers.
In his labor and employment practice, Ben Traverse continually familiarizes himself with the ins and outs of his clients' diverse workplaces. Working diligently toward finding proactive solutions for both large and small employers in a variety of occupational fields, Ben remains approachable and always ready to serve as a dedicated advocate, particularly when clients are faced with uniquely difficult circumstances.
Before moving to Vermont with his young family, Ben spent three years as an assistant corporation counsel in the Labor and Employment Law Division of the New York City Law Department. There, Ben represented various municipal agencies, including the New York City Police, Fire and Education departments, as lead attorney before federal, state and administrative tribunals. His practice largely focused on successfully defending against claims of discrimination, retaliation and wrongful termination.
In the year before joining Downs Rachlin Martin, Ben served as a judicial law clerk for the Vermont Superior Court. In that position, he worked on a number of employment-related matters pursued under Vermont’s civil rights statutes.
Ben plays recreational hockey, is a member of the Catamount Trail Association, and enjoys hiking and Nordic skiing.
- Served as a judicial law clerk for the Vermont Superior Court in Chittenden, Addison, Windsor and Orange Counties.
- Successfully defended a large municipal agency against a wrongful termination claim before a jury trial.
- Prevailed against multiple claims of discrimination and retaliation heard before the administrative law judges of the New York State Division of Human Rights.
- Obtained summary judgment for a municipal agency faced with a federal failure-to-hire claim. Ben took the plaintiff’s deposition and was able to elicit a number of admissions that supported dismissal of the case.
- Personally conducted multiple depositions of plaintiffs and their supporting witnesses, including experts purporting to establish employees’ future earnings.
- Used knowledge of electronic discovery issues to secure protective orders from federal court that quashed overbroad requests to produce emails.
- Defended municipal agency in state court against unions’ claims that certain agency actions demanded collective bargaining and labor arbitration.
- Advocated in defense of progressive disciplinary actions taken by clients under the terms of various collective bargaining agreements.
- Counseled a large employer on complying with state mandate to conduct sexual harassment training.
Brooklyn Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2011
The George Washington University, B.A., Political Science, 2006
United States District Court for the District of Vermont, 2017
New Hampshire, 2016
New York, 2012
US District Court, District of New Hampshire, 2016
US District Court, Northern District of New York, 2014
US District Court, Southern District of New York, 2012
US District Court, Eastern District of New York, 2012
- SHRM / VHRA
- VBA, Labor and Employment Law Section
Legal Rookie of the Year Award during first year with the New York City Law Department
- Vermont Bar Association: Labor and Employment Law Section; Young Lawyers Division, Chair
- Burlington Housing Board of Review, Chairperson
- Burlington Neighborhood Planning Assembly, Steering Committee
- Leadership Champlain, Board Member
Ben Traverse routinely presents on topics that impact your HR practices. He has participated on panel discussions and presented before the following organizations:
- Vermont Bar Association
- Associated Industries of Vermont
- Vermont Workplace Wellness Conference
- Vermont League of Cities and Towns
- Vermont Truck and Bus Association
199 Main Street
Burlington, VT 05401ph: 802-863-2375