July 25, 2014

Real Estate Finance: Vermont

A Q&A guide to real estate finance law for borrowers and lenders in Vermont

by: Scott Jaunich & Kane Smart

Are there restrictions on interest rates charged for loans secured by real property in Vermont?

Are there any requirements for the execution of a mortgage or deed of trust in Vermont?

This Q&A article addresses these and other questions related to state laws primarily impacting lending transactions in a commercial context.  The discussion includes security instruments, usury laws, limitations on personal liability, recording requirements and taxes, priority issues, mechanics' liens, landlord liens, title insurance matters, and foreclosure procedures. 

Real estate and land use attorney Scott Jaunich counsels developers and commercial interests in real estate transaction and regulatory matters, including acquisition and sale, leasing, and development. Jaunich is recognized as one of as one of Vermont's leading real estate lawyers.

Kane Smart's energy and telecommunications practice spans real estate transactions, environmental regulation and land use development. His primary focus involves telecommunications and electrical energy siting projects, where he applies knowledge of Act 250, Sections 248 and 248a, along with his ability to decipher municipal zoning schemes to assist businesses as they navigate Vermont’s complex state and local land use regulations and associated environmental permitting regimes.

Read the article Real Estate Finance: Vermont

See the other commercial real estate in Vermont Q&A pieces in this series.


Before sending, please note: Information on is for general use and is not legal advice. The mailing of this email is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Anything that you send to anyone at our Firm will not be confidential or privileged unless we have agreed to represent you. In particular, please note that Downs Rachlin Martin’s Labor & Employment Group exclusively represents employers/management in labor and employment matters. Employees seeking assistance with labor or employment issues should contact a law firm that represents employees and should not provide information about your situation to DRM.

If you send this email, you confirm that you have read, understand and agree to the terms contained herein.