Joe Choquette is a member and co-leader of the Government Affairs Group
and the external affairs manager for DRM. His work focuses on state legislative and regulatory affairs
, public and news media relations
, and marketing.
Joe joined the firm in 1999 and brings more than 40 years of experience in public and government relations to issues confronting businesses and associations. He has focused his work on behalf of legislative clients in the areas of energy, environment, public safety, transportation, employment and taxation matters. He also provides services in the areas of crisis management and news media relations.
From 1986-1999, Joe was the executive director of the Vermont Petroleum Association, a division of the American Petroleum Institute. From 1984-1986, Joe served as manager of research and communication for the Vermont Chamber of Commerce, where he managed significant projects including rewriting the state's unemployment compensation law, developing community right-to-know legislation, and taxation and labor issues. Before joining the Chamber, he was the director of news media relations at the University of Vermont in 1979-1984 and director of sports information at UVM in 1978-1979.
- represented the petroleum industry in legislative and regulatory policy-making regarding underground storage tanks, vapor recovery systems and fire suppression systems
- helped a Northeast Kingdom ski area obtain legislative approval for a 50 extension of its land lease
- helped a hydroelectric dam operator to reach agreement with a southern Vermont ski area over water withdrawal from a storage reservoir for snowmaking
- managed communication for a southern Vermont manufacturer with a difficult environmental release
- managed communication for a large unionized printing operation announcing a closing and relocation
- assisted a large Canadian energy provider with strategic communication surrounding the acquisition of a well-known Vermont company
- advised a small business client on crisis communication regarding a fatal accident on its property
Joe is President of the Montpelier Chamber Orchestra and is an appointed member of the Vermont Petroleum Cleanup Fund Advisory Committee.
He enjoys a lifelong affiliation with the UVM athletic program and served for many years as the rink announcer and as a minor official in the men's ice hockey program.
He chairs the program committee for the Montpelier Rotary Club, where he has the honor of recruiting and introducing many noteworthy speakers. He was the president of the club during its 75th Anniversary year in 1997-98, has served as an assistant district governor of Rotary International District 7850 and chaired the Rotary District Conference, held in Montpelier, in 2003.
Joe has served in leadership positions in numerous trade and professional organizations throughout his career. A former newspaper writer, he is a past president of the Vermont Sportswriters-Sportscasters' Association and the Vermont Society of Association Executives.
Joe has coached youth soccer and Babe Ruth baseball, is an avid golfer, skier, gardener and racquetball player.